Sunday, July 13, 2014

"M15 PR:The Day Garruk Answered My Summons"


"M15 PR:The Day Garruk Answered My Summons"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.

It was like another day for me. I have just ended my last 4 hour duty of saturday and was speeding towards home. I usually have a million things to think about but today I was only thinking of One thing.Getting to the M15 Pre release in Spiral Valenzuela in time. I had talked to my daughter and my wife and after lunch promptly fell into a deep sleep.

I set my alarm to 4pm to prepare but because I was so drained by my Clinic duties the Day and Night before that I woke up at 5:00 pm! 30 minutes before registration. Good thing I lived a mere tricycle ride away from the venue!

I drank an Enervon , took a quick shower and walked. As I was walking I thought of how awesome it would be to get a Garruk, Apex Predator in my Pre-Release Kit. Garruk , Garruk , Garruk...I silently chanted in my brain...

"Garruk the Slayer: You called?
Me: Not you , the other guy...
Garruk the Slayer: Oh..."
When I got to the venue , I got to register on time and got to chatting with a lot of the players there. Some I remember by name , some by their faces. I met a lot of new players as well. When the PR kit was released I plopped down to a table started opening my pack. And there in my very first pack of M15 , near the very end was Garruk, Apex Predator. I was in utter disbelief.The Planeswalker that I wrote 3 blogs about was in my hands. He had answered my summons. From there on I knew this was going to be an epic Pre release for me.Despite the early threat of a power black out that was poised to ruin my only game time in months. The lights came on after 15 minutes to much cheering in the Computer shop turned Magic Game Arena.

Another 15 minutes later I was done tearing through my packs and building what I hope to be a great Black/ Green Golgari deck that had a lot of removal and mana acceleration. There was to be none of that however as the cards I got were mostly White, Blue and Black. Green seemed to be the least color on the pile. Red didn't appeal to me because it meant Garruk won't be on my side. I didn't want to play White/Blue so I went with Doran Colors.Black/Green/White instead. I will be playing Garruk by hook or by crook. The Llanowar Wastes and Caves of Koilos I got would come in handy. I thought that I might get mana screwed with a tri-colored deck but I was wrong. 40 deck construction was fun with a lot of bombs.

There were certainly highlights in this PR and they included:

Siege Dragon: Whats for dinner?
Garruk, Apex Predator: You!
Siege Dragon: Oh...
>Garruk, Apex Predator Eating a Siege Dragon! (Yum Yum! Urp!!!)
> In Garruks Wake turning the tables on a Creature dominant Opponent!
>Responding to an Overwhelming attack with a Meditation Puzzle!(In response...8 life)
>Pillar of Light taking care of Giants and Dragons alike on a consistent basis.(I only had two copies!)
>Raise the Alarm , raising enough tokens to summon Will-Forged Golem in turn 4...A lot of bowing for a 4/4 creature if you ask me...

"Why yes, I am a threat..."
>Covenant of Blood Delaying my death and killing one creature that was causing me a lot of pain.(It was a typhoid Rat that was preventing my 4/4 Golems from attacking!)
>And by far my most favorite combo attack, Turn 3, with an Ajani's Pridemate already in play, Putting down a Radiant fountain,gaining 2 life, making the Pridemate 3/3 , then casting a Divine Favor, gaining 3 life that made it a 5/8 monstrosity that killed my opponent in the deciding Game 3.

"Pridemates for the win!"
I would eventually come home with 3 M15 boosters, 1 conspiracy booster pack with a record of 3-1.I also got to do this and lived to tell about it.


It was a long overdue and often delayed played time but it was one Pre-release for the books that time Garruk answered my summons.




2 comments:

  1. I guess I didn't hope for Garruk as much as you did.. so I got Chandra instead :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehee different Planeswalker answered...Reminds me of that Line from Zendikar...Be careful , you don't know who might be listening...

    ReplyDelete